The Farmington Valley Tsunamis Swim Team is a YMCA and USA (United States Swimming) program designed for swimmers ages 5-18 of all abilities, from beginner through national levels. The Tsunamis Swim Team provides children and families with opportunities to experience competitive swimming in a fun, exciting, and positive environment with an experienced and accomplished coaching staff.
Our Mission: The Farmington Valley YMCA Tsunami Swim Team is a competitive swim program that strives to develop the minds and bodies of youth of all ages and abilities. We are committed to helping a child grow in character, physical development and skills while providing a challenging, fair and fun learning environment. We are dedicated to development and advancement in the sport of swimming by being dedicated to every child and helping them reach to their highest potential.
How the Team Works:
The swim team consists of two phases that are broken up into groups based on age and ability:
Phase one is called Developmental Olympic Stroke and is broken into three groups. As the name suggests, these groups focus on the learning and technique of the 4 Olympic Strokes and the fundamentals of starts, turns, underwater streamlines and finishes.
- Olympic Stroke I (ages 8 and under) - Tuesday 4:45-5:45pm and Saturday 11am-12pm
- Olympic Stroke II (ages 9 & 10) - Monday & Wednesday – 4:45-5:45pm Saturday 10-11am
- Olympic Stroke III (ages 11 & up) – Monday 7-8pm – Thursday 4:45-5:45 pm and Friday 5-6pm
Phase two is called Age Groups and is broken into 4 groups. The focus in these groups is perfecting each stroke and gradually increasing the training aspect of swimming.
- Pre-Age Group (transition group, ages 8 to 12) - Tuesday & Wednesday 5:45-6:45 pm – Saturday – 9-10am
- Age Group I (ages 9-10) – Monday & Thursday 5:45-7pm, Wednesday 6:45-8pm, Saturday 7:45-9am
- Age Group II (ages 11-14) – Monday through Thursday 4:45-6:15 pm and Saturday 9:45-11:15 am (Dryland is built into regular practice times)
- Age Group III (ages 13-18) – Monday through Thursday 6:15-8:15 pm and Saturday 7:45-9:45 am (Dryland is Monday and Wednesday 5:00 -6:00 pm and Saturday 10-11am)
Each swimmer’s commitment to the team should be a family-based decision but it is important to consider what is outlined for his group and the desire to succeed and improve.
How To Become A Tsunami
All swimmers must be evaluated by the coach before joining. This will allow for swimmers to be placed in the appropriate group before registering. Swim tests are usually done from 4-4:45pm or after 8pm, before and after workouts. To schedule one, please call 860-653-5524.
Click here to visit the Farmington Valley Tsimamis' official website to learn more!