Camp never has to end at the YMCA! We offer teen adventure camps, teen programming, and teen leadership programs to develop youth and help set them on their career paths!
Summer Leadership Training
The YMCA’s three-step camping leadership program is designed for campers going into grades 9-11. Becoming a leader is a right-of-passage and an opportunity to be trained in YMCA leadership skills. These future leaders focus on personal values, in addition to the YMCA four core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility. We offer both day and overnight programs for our Leadership Training track.
- Leadership in Training (for students entering 9th grade): Leaders in Training is the first of three stepping blocks to becoming a counselor. L.I.Ts spend part of each day working with a counselor becoming familiar with leadership, organization, and team-building. However, this special group of campers will also participate in traditional camp activities!
- Counselor in Training (for students entering 10th grade): Counselors in Training is the second level in our leadership program. Working with counselors and leadership specialists, C.I.Ts will enhance their skills in team-building, group management, and activity development. This special group of campers will work together to develop and execute a community service project.
- For teenagers going into their junior year of high school who are not yet 16, becoming a Junior Counselor is the final step before becoming a counselor. Volunteering as a Junior Counselor is a fantastic way to gain experience, earn responsibility, and fulfill community service needs. Junior Counselors must apply to the program and attend certain camp staff training dates.
Locations of LIT/CIT programs (Click on the links for more information and to register):
For any programs without a link, please call the Welcome Center of the branch that is running the camp.
- Camp Chase (Burlington)
- Camp Cutler (Putnam)
- Camp Dakota (Wilson-Gray Y in Hartford; must apply and be accepted)
- Camp Glawackus (Glastonbury)
- Camp Indian Valley (Ellington)
- Camp Nowashe (East Hartford)
- Camp West Hartford
- Camp Wheeler (Plainville)
- Camp Yankee Trails (Tolland; must apply and be accepted)
Teen Camping & Adventure Programs
We have several offerings for teens looking to let loose and have fun during the summer. From travel adventure camps that take teens across the country, to shorter excursions, we have offerings for every kid.